Monday, November 16, 2009

I'm a newborn baby blogger!



WOW, it's all new to me! It has taken a little bit of time to get acclimated to this new professional life of mine. Before I became an Americorps volunteer, I was a full-time massage therapist and student at Drury. I have never collaborated with a group of people in an office setting with a common goal. In this case, I'm referring to my new responsibilities at James River Basin Partnership. I'm realizing how important this Americorps experience is for my future and the feature of the next great water protection agency I hope to work for.

Although I have been studying biology in school, I cant believe how little my prior knowledge in science is used at JRBP. This very valuable experience is teaching my how important financing, business and public relations skills are fundamental to achieving success in any water protection group! In the future I hope to help make big changes in the minds of individuals concerning how they view water. I would not be able to do this without the new professional experience at JRBP through AmeriCorps.

I currently am knee deep in the process of organizing for our future Watershed Festivals. The festivals while educate around 2,000 5th graders in the James River basin about how their actions effect the water around them. This is a huge event that involves 11 days of festivals and around 20 schools. Boy, I'm learning so much about putting on a program of this magnitude! I look forward to keeping you connected my progress!

P.S. I miss all of my new friends! And look so forward to our next "rain event"!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Let's call this September!