Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kansas City River Clean-Up

Hello Stream-Lovers!


My name is Rebecca, and I am one of ten new and awesome Missouri Clean Stream AmeriCorps Members! Although the past three weeks have been full of fun, I have chosen just one excellent story to share with you.


On October 3rd, I spent my 23rd birthday attending my first ever river clean-up! Although I am currently stationed in Columbia, MO with the Missouri River Communities Network, I grew up in Kansas City and could not resist a trip home to practice everything that I had been learning with MRCN.


It was a chilly morning, and one of the first things I noticed was a neon orange beanie. One of the second things I noticed was that this beanie belonged to my high school Environmental Education teacher, Mike Pisani. Without the Environmental Education program at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School, I would not be where I am today, and I was excited to see that Pisani had brought some of his students out to help clean the river.


After a chilly boat ride to our site, we were let loose on the garbage that littered the river bank. Among our finds for the day: a refrigerator door, a perfectly usable soccer ball, a red cooler, a toy hammer, LOTS of styrofoam, LOTS of plastic bottles and a beautiful pink bra. In just over 2 hours, the 21 volunteers from Team Cougar had cleaned up our stretch, and we were ready to return to Kaw Point Park.


All told, nearly 400 volunteers came out to help with the clean-up! Thanks to all involved for making my 23rd birthday a memorable one!


1 comment:

Missouri River Relief said...

Rebecca -
Thank you so much for coming to help at the KC clean-up. Can't wait to work with you in the future.

If you have any pictures you wouldn't mind us posting, please email them to riverrelief@riverrelief.org.

Thanks!