Thursday, June 10, 2010

Recycle, Reduce, Re-use!

During AmeriCorps Week, I gave 3 presentations to the 6th grade classes in the Plato School District as well as to 181 4th and 5th graders at the Jack's Fork Watershed Education Day. It focused on the importance of recycling as well as how long it takes everyday household items to fully decompose into the Earth (if there is an actual time). I did lot's of research because let's face it, who better than to stump me on a random question than 9-11 year olds! We discussed the 3 R's- Reduce, Re-use and Recycle. Rather than just giving the kids facts and information, I asked them what they can do in their very own homes to help the planet. And I heard some really great ideas. For the Re-use discussion, I had items like a glass jar, an egg carton, old greeting card, and a paper towell roll in my bag. Basically I grabbed stuff that anyone could find in the average home and asked "Rather than throwing this away, what could you do with it?" These kids let me know! Everything from games, bug catchers, scrapbooking parts and a place to store trinkets were brought up!
At the end of the presentation, I had a matching game with items on one card, and rates of time on the others. They were to match each item with how long it took for it to decompose. And of course in the 6th grade classroom, it became a boys vs. girls grudge match. But everyone had a great time, and some of the kids wanted to start a recycling program as a class project!
Fun Facts-
We all know recycling cans can benefit your pockets as well as the earth, but did you ever think to recycle your Hershey Kiss wrappers? I knew it was aluminum foil, but it never crossed my mind to recycle those little buggers!

If you were to throw away a soda can, it would take 80-100 years to break down, but you can recylce a can indefinitely!

---- On a completely different note------
Don't forget the Big Piney River Clean-Up Saturday, July 17th. Boiling Springs Resort! Bring your canoes and be ready for fun!!! Registration begins at 8am.

No comments: