Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Dream Watershed Festivals




Wow, I’m happy to report to the blog community that the new year at James River Basin Partnership is off and running! A single minute is hardly spared in the organizing of the upcoming Watershed Festivals. Little did I know as a volunteer what really goes into planning these huge events that educate so many of the areas fifth graders. In the years past I have been a volunteer for the organization, but this time I’m coordinating the event.


First, I invited 26 of the Basin’s schools to participate. After they confirm there participation, there will be around 2000 5th graders learning about watersheds. The students, along with teachers and chaperons will be rotating through five educational activities. There will be three cycles running at the same time. Seventeen volunteers will be facilitating the activities, that makes 187 volunteer slots filled for the upcoming festivals.


After everyone commits to participate, there is a volunteer training held at JRBP’s new office building. Whew! There are five festivals in February and six in March. I can hardly wait to see and feel them come to fruition!

No comments: