Monday, April 13, 2009

Watershed Festivals a HUGE success in Southwest Missouri!

In March, I finished my volunteer stint with local watershed festivals. We exposed over 3000 local fifth graders to water quality. Last November, I helped with the two day Barry County festival. This year started with five days at the Christian County festival, one day in Stone County, and the school year was completed with a two day festival in Taney County. The post survey completed by the fifth graders, over the last several years, indicated they weren't retaining much of the information presented in the "Build Your Own Watershed" activity. Guess which activity I was presenting? The pressure was on! For the Christian County festival, it was decided to present the information differently. After two days, I found the students were not engaged with the activity. So on the third day, I brought a special friend with me to help. I brought Slimy, a yellow, plastic frog! (Can you find him in the picture?) Slimy was a HUGE hit. I liked watching the students interact with Slimy and care about what was happening in his watershed. He will definitely be back next year!



No comments: