Thursday, April 8, 2010

Educational Opportunities Galore!


During March I was swamped with helping the James River Basin Partnership finish up their watershed festivals for 5th graders. It was a blast helping teach the Drop in the Bucket activity. Many of the students had never really thought about water conservation. It’s great to be able to reach students from several counties. Luckily through this activity I was also able to make new contacts for school presentations. I presented a Stream Ecology presentation to Billings Elementary 5th graders. I took in live macroinvertebrates and the students were given the task of determining their water quality rating. They all did a great job and loved examining the macroinvertebrates. These students always ask lots of questions about the life they find in their own streams. This is one of my favorite parts because I love telling the students about some of the life cycles of these fascinating insects. The crane fly larvae were one of their favorites and they always are blown away when I tell them what the adult looks like! In case you don’t know they are those “huge-looking mosquito-like” insects that get in your home! The interesting part is that the adults don’t have any working mouth parts! So don’t kill the poor critter and let him back outside!

Cranefly Larvae Adult Cranefly

No comments: