Friday, December 4, 2009

Rain Gardens are GREAT!

Hello again!

I hope everyone thoroughly stuffed themselves at their Thanksgivings, because that’s the way it should be.
So, I had a very eventful November. A couple of weeks ago, the Coalition had our 40th anniversary party, which was quite the classy affair. We had about 250 attendees, an incredible turnout and show of support for our organization and our work.
Most exciting for me was that I gave my first stormwater education presentation! I’m really excited about this project, because it’s turning out to be an excellent opportunity to change how people think.
One of my favorite neighborhoods in the St. Louis area is South Grand. It’s diverse and multicultural, right down the street from one of the city’s oldest and most beautiful parks, has great architecture and very good, relatively inexpensive, restaurants.
At the beginning of October, I attended the last of the public meetings on a proposed renovation they are planning for the neighborhood. It’s a part of the Great Streets Initiative, and one of several such projects around the city and county. The idea is to take a street that’s already very popular, and make it “great”; i.e., more pedestrian friendly, safer, beautiful and coherent, and environmentally friendly. Each master plan was presented to the public, which then had the chance to voice their opinions, as well as to influence the plans themselves.
On South Grand, in part due to high interest from residents, the master plan calls for an eventual 50% reduction in pervious surfaces over 8 blocks; eventually, everything from the curb front to the building front will be pervious, including most of the parking lane. They also have proposed rain gardens at 28 corners! It turns out, however, that there just isn’t enough money for that, so instead they were just going to put in grass.
Once I heard that they were going to put in grass (just silly), I decided to try and find a way to get the rain gardens put in sooner, rather than later. What I’ve come up with is to try and kill several birds with one stone: I’m reaching out to neighborhood associations, residents, business, and other potentially interested community groups to organize people around an “adopt-a-corner” project. Rather than pay for someone install and maintain the gardens, I’m going to try to get volunteers to do that work. I’m also exploring ways to get the plants donated.
For those people that aren’t familiar with stormwater issues—namely, the residents and neighborhood associations—I’m wrapping my proposal for community-owned rain gardens in with stormwater education. Last Tuesday, I went to the Tower Grove East Neighborhood Association and talked to the roughly 30 attendees about just that, and it went over really well! The best part is seeing the light bulbs go on over people’s heads and having them get excited about what you’re telling them.
I already have another presentation lined up! It’s so nice to finally have the ball rolling on things, but there’s still a ton of work to be done. Fingers crossed that the rain gardens become a reality!
I look forward to seeing you all next month, and I hope you all have wonderful holidays!
PS: Next time I'll remember to take pictures of me giving the presentation!

1 comment:

Julia said...

You go girl! You are making these rain gardens happen!
Let us know if you need any help from MRCN in COMO.