Friday, July 10, 2009

'WATER WIZARDS'

Monday mornings, the month of June, found me at the Boys and Girls Club of the Ozarks, Branson Unit, conducting water education classes. Finally, I was able to see the fruition of my efforts over the last ten months! The information I shared with the kids flowed with little need to look at my notes. Yeah! maybe I'm NOT clueless! The first Monday, we learned about "Who needs it (water)?" Did you know it takes 700 gallons of water to produce a cheese burger w/tomato and lettuce? The second Monday, we focused on the water cycle. The younger kids used their hands and feet to produce a thunder storm. Point and non-point pollution was the course of study on the third Monday. Missouri Stream Team was center stage the fourth Monday. We made a stream and identified the critters we found under the rocks. The last Monday the class met, we chatted about everything we had learned the previous four weeks. Eighty kids (grade levels K-6) were exposed to water quality. One of my favorite questions to ask children after a class is "What can you do to keep water clean?" A few kids have ideas, but most do not. I love telling them they have the power of knowledge and they can share their knowledge about clean water with the grown-ups they know!

Water Wizards exploring the stream for macroinvertebrates!

No comments: